I can vouch for keeping it in the fridge so that it takes on an almost fudge like consistency.
Chocolate Guinness Cake
250g unsalted butter
80g cocoa powder
400g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
280g plain flour
2 tspm bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
50g unsalted butter
300g icing sugar
125g soft cream cheese
cocoa powder for dusting
- Oven Gas Mark 3 or 170 C / 325 F
- Pour the Guinness into a saucepan with the butter and melt
- Remove from heat and stir in cocoa and sugar
- Mix eggs , vanilla and buttermilk in a separate bowl then add to the pan
- Sift remaining dry ingredients and place in a mixer bowl
- Add contents of saucepan and using the paddle attachment or a hand held whisk , mix on slow speed
- Pour batter into 9" springform cake tin - I baked mine for 45 mins but keep an eye on it after 30'
- For the frosting just mix everything together until smooth
- Smother your cake in the stuff ( I actually made double quantity )
- Sprinkle with cocoa powder then refridgerate
My son confessed to not really liking cakes ( can he really be my son ?) but loved this one. Maybe the alcoholic content helped. I was tempted to bung the empty Guinness bottle in the middle for a laugh - maybe next time and there will SO be a next time. I'm off for a slice now .
The photo doesn't show off the cake to its best advantage but it shows off my lovely boy's gorgeous smile and who cares what the cake looks like - the proof of the pudding and all that.