Thursday 26 March 2009

Last Day at School

I've had 4 of these now in total. In the last 10 years the boys, between them, have left their respective current schools 4 times. That's 4 lots of tearful goodbyes, 4 lots of hand written letters to the special teachers, 4 lots of leaving cards, 4 lots of walking out of the school gates for the very last time. I could write a book ( or a blog) about it now that I've had lots of practice. Doesn't get any easier. At the time you make the decision to consider leaving one school and moving to another, you don't realise that although you're doing things exploratively, tentatively , the decision is already made and the writing is already on the wall. Once you entertain the idea that your child isn't at the right school for them you might as well start drafting the goodbye letter and planning a trip to the new school uniform shop. The deal is done, in your head at least.

I know this is the right decision for my youngest but I just need to witness the living proof that will come after he has one term under his belt. I need to go the first terms' parent's evening and be told that he's doing well and more importantly has settled well and is happy and has made friends.

I'm hoping that this is the last time I have to go through this. I watched through the open door of his classroom this morning as his classmates gathered round and presented him with a teddy dressed in the full school uniform as they signed his shirt with good luck messages in felt pen and saw his happy smiling face and realised that wherever he goes to school he will always be loved. He has that sunny disposition that will carry him far in life. My happy chappy.

No comments:

Post a Comment