Saturday 24 April 2010

What are you reading ?

 Much like my life, my bedside table is awash with good intentions. At any one time there is usually a selection of books I intend to read - too may good reads, too few hours - usual story.

At the moment, I have the usual self-help manuals, a cookery book or two juxtaposed ironically between something about not letting food rule your life, a piece of fictional nonsense, something to get the creative juices flowing, some sort of parental advice and one of the boy's bedtime storybooks.

So here's my current reading list :



From the top of the pile ....

1. This months' Creative Keepsakes , half read for when I need pictures in my life , not words.
2. David Nicholls' One Day - it's growing on me - found it quite puerile to begin with but then        realised it was my era - the Thatcherite 80's , so nostalgic if nothing else.
2. Quantitative Methods for Finance - a little light bedtime reading - tutoring a 1st year University student at the moment so just need to refresh my memory on simultaneous and quadratic equations - loving it , honestly.
3. The End of Overeating - a worrying diatribe on how we live in an obesogenic environment - so true .
4. Kate Atkinson's Behind the Scenes at the Mueum - sadly stalled but I was enjoying it.
5. Allan Ahlberg's The Incredible Cat - Max's curent bedtime read - anything about cats gets our vote.
6. Patrick Holford's 10 Secrets of 100% Healthy People - would like to think of myself as one of those happy people right now.
7. Sophie Hannah - love her style. Never been a crime fan before I read her. You should try her poetry.
8. Eat Me - luscious cupcakes - a real fantasy read
9. Maths for Mums and Dads - a clever little tome - wished I'd thought of writing this
10. Thinking and Speaking in Secondary Schools - co-written by Meriel Davenport - Head of Learning Development at the boys' school - an inspiration. 


Well there we have it , a heady mix of self improvement, fantasy and education. My life in a nutshell.

2 comments:

  1. Claire I love how you've managed to sum up your life at the bottom having looked at your reading list I think mine would say similar to me too LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got Jodi Picoult "Songs of the Humpback Whale" and a large tome from the library on Pompeii (I'm going there in June) which I am persevering with whenever I feel vaguely intelligent ...

    ReplyDelete