Sunday 31 July 2016

Holiday packing

Anyone got this sussed ? Let me in on your secrets please.

I have a very very very low attention threshold which is why I started packing 5 minutes ago and now I'm on here typing. A friend of mine told me she leaves her packing until 2 hours before she has to leave - that way it can only take 2 hours. I'd still be wondering which suitcase to take.

Capsule wardrobe is another phrase I often hear. If I looked like a capsule ( which I don't ) that may work for me but as I look like an over-ripe watermelon , a small and discrete collection of chic co-ordinating must-haves is a big no no for me. My big knickers alone take up half my suitcase. This year I have bought new tropical colours in the underpants department which I have not worn yet , believing that brand new underwear will be a delightful change from the ropey old washed out, frayed knicker elastic variety I usually end up bringing. This could prove disastrous if I discover mid outward bound flight that they are not up to the job.

So, on to luggage. I'll be checking in one case. I call it a case. It is actually a squished up tote-bag cum backpack thing that husband encouraged me to buy. It works fine for the boys who will fill theirs with 2 pairs of pants ( between them) unsuitable footwear ( cannot convince them that heavy, waterlogged, winter-warmth skate shoes are a bad idea on a beach holiday) . Youngest will insist on bringing socks despite 30 degree temperatures and eldest will forget all vital meds including inhaler which will involve an emergency, last minute, highly expensive doctors visit for a private prescription. They may remember to bring a pair of swimming trunks but will also attempt to squeeze in a lifetime's supply of assorted hair gels and will wonder why no-one brought goggles for them.

My SUTBCBP thing ( see full description above )  meanwhile will be jammed with emergency first aid kits , flippers, snorkel masks, books which every else will commandeer because they won't like the ones they've brought with them, spare headphones as one or all of theirs will be left on the plane/airport/ car on the way to the airport, snacks as they'll refuse the in-flight meal and end up starving and cranky ( a bad combination even when you have access to a fridge ) , mosquito repellant devices ( battery operated , wristbands, plug-in, set light to variety , spray aerosol, roll-on, cream , gel and  tablets ) badly fitting brand new knickers, optimistically sized swimsuits and diarolyte ( learnt from experience ) .

It's such a joy to go on holiday isn't it ? So, I'd better get off here and go resume packing duties. I have just enough room left to shoehorn in 3 pairs of goggles and a near empty inhaler.

1 comment:

  1. Oh this did make me laugh! You've got the' Mum v The rest of the family' packing regime perfectly described. My hand luggage was always way heavier than anyone else's as mine was packed with all the emergency supplies everyone may need in case we found ourselves in a 'luggage has gone missing' scenario.

    ReplyDelete